Thursday, February 28, 2013

Life lessons at a Career Talk

My life is at that point of time when job-searching is about to become centre-stage. It happens in the lives of several other fresh graduates or soon-to-be graduates. I happen to be in the latter category and I hence often find myself pushed to attend every other recruitment-related event that I get wind of.

Today was another of those days and I went to a Career Talk organised by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC). The presenter was Cedric Mpobusingye, a partner at their Kampala office. As an engineering student, I really didn't have much interest in the entire business of audit and tax advisory at first and I had gone there out of curiosity in the first place. However, I learnt a few great lessons (call them quips) which I, after mulling over for a while, will share with you here, for free!

  • The purpose of life is in a life of purpose: Have you yet discovered your purpose in life? What is that one thing you'll devote your entire life to? What are your major interests? Making career choices is much easier once you have these questions answered.
  • Money ain't everything about life: If money is going to be your sole aim as you seek to progress in your chosen career, then you are headed for a great fall. Do something you love and focus on adding value to your clients and employers and the big bucks will surely come your way!
  • Life is about sharing: Too many of the problems in the world today arise from selfishness. Don't live the rest of your life focusing on yourself alone. You indeed have something that you can share with the rest of the world. Share a service, knowledge, a skill, advice etc.
Well, at least I'm already practicing tip number 3!
PS: You can find out more about PwC and their Graduate Recruitment program by clicking here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment